Friday, June 25, 2010

Getting back from Whitby and such

England seems to be more jam packed than France indeed. Ha! I'm still trying to get over it all, my schedule. This past week, we finished up Dracula by Bram Stoker. Thus our destination was Whitby and Whitby Abby for a two day and one night stay. Whitby turns out to be the goth capital of England. Walking around, it is inevitable to run into a goth store or really several goth stores. That ambiance along makes it really fun to walk around however Whitby itself wasn't really my favorite part.

I loved really climbing on the ruins of Whitby Abby, walking the Yorkshire moors, and staying at our wonderful B&B in a nearby village. I was just so happy to have a soft, comfy mattress with free tea and biscuits and a super deep bath...all to myself.

The ruins remain massive and if I could have, I would have loved to have had a picnice there right where the sanctuary used to be. It is a very calming place and still beautiful after all these years even as erosion, grass, and time in general have withered it away some.

Having Dr. MacGregor along makes for many opportunities to walk the countryside with a guide, which is a very good thing for me as even though there are maps of all the trails, they look like squiggles to me. The walk was fine in my everyday sandals but if I continue to take these walks with MacGregor, I may have to consider getting proper walking shoes. Terrain can get really rough and the brambles and heather can be rough to get through. I'll have to shop around the British outdoor stores (which are everywhere it seems) and see about it.

Unfortunately, while leaving Whitby today, we ended up having to leave behind a student but he is alright though I don't know what happened. It seemed to be a mixture of that he just wasn't there for the bus on time at all and no one spoke up at the head count time to say that he was missing. Well, he is safe and that is what matters.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz: We will miss you at the WH Parade on the 3rd (so much fun last year); looking forward to seeing you soon and hearing of your adventures in person when you come home...your parents are very excited as are we all!

    ReplyDelete