Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Getting ready for the first weekend and homework


Well, I've almost finished making the necessary bookings and checked the train times to go to York, Edinburgh, and New Berwick this weekend. The first two you've probably heard of but the last one interests me because it is just a half-hour train ride from Edinburgh and is the preferred beach town of the locals so it seems. No swimsuit-wearing though I imagine. It looks just too damp and cold.

Settling in at the Harlaxton manor has been going very well here. I like the students and, of course, the professors who I'm working with and the discussions concerning Pride and Prejudice have been slightly more lively than I've experienced in past lit classes, a very encouraging thing.

Madame and Monsieur continue their communication with me and I with them. It is mainly tying up loose ends. A very confusing instance happened where Madame thought I took the English-French dictionary of Jean-Baptiste and left mine behind. I took only one dictionary with me and it remains with me and no other. I went all through my things just in case but just as I thought, I didn't take his book. It was rather bizarre instance and I hope she finds it soon.

To go along with Pride and Prejudice week, I have one response paper and a mandatory journal entry to do. Tonight, along with weekend packing, I'll be writing the response paper. The prompt asks to focus on one or two important scenes in the novel and write on Austen's use of first impressions in the plot and messages of the novel. Then also I must mention how these said scenes play against "pride" and "prejudice."

To end this entry, I leave a pic of a failed attempt to shove as many people as we could into a photo booth. Funny all the same :)

1 comment:

  1. Followed your France departure and your London arrival thru you parents at Sunday dinner and Monday nite Extension meeting. As always, we are thrilled that you traveled safely and successfully to your destination to begin another exciting adventure! Your home is a castle....now how many people can say that Liz!
    I can envision your enthusiastic participation during discussions of Pride and Prejudice. How wonderful that the other students appreciate literature and find it as discussion worthy as yourself. Have a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete